Choose My Diamond
The diamond is the most solid and hard stone discovered to date. The purity, size, weight, color, and propensity of light scattering are the main criteria for evaluating a diamond. At Aird Joaillier, we travel the world to offer you a choice of high-quality diamonds, as well as elegant, original and unique sizes.
Each jewel is the result of the work of a master builder at the service of excellence. A symbol of love and eternity, our engagement rings, as well as all our diamond jewelry, are made from stones from the world’s leading diamond laboratories and are assembled with materials of unsurpassed quality.
Choosing The Ideal Diamond
- Purity measures the number of imperfections found in almost all diamonds.
- Many of these imperfections are microscopic and do not alter the beauty of the diamond in a perceptible way. Purity refers to the tiny natural imperfections found in all diamonds, with the exception of exceptional pieces. Gemmologists refer to these imperfections to classify stones. The diamonds with the least imperfections and the smallest receive the highest degree of purity. Because these imperfections are often microscopic, they do not alter the beauty of the diamond in general.
|Pureté des Dimants||Description du Diamant|
Sans défaut, sans défaut interne : Aucune imperfection interne ni externe. Pur à la loupe : Sans imperfection interne. Très rare.
Très très légèrement inclus : Les imperfections sont très difficilement perceptibles avec un grossissement 10x. Un diamant d’une qualité excellente.
Très légèrement inclus : Les imperfections ne sont pas visibles à l’œil nu. Moins cher que les degrés VVS1 ou VVS2.
Légèrement inclus : Les imperfections sont visibles avec un grossissement 10x Un diamant d’une bonne valeur.
Inclus : Ce degré de diamants a des inclusions qui peuvent être visibles à l’œil nu.
Inclus :Ce degré de diamants a des inclusions qui peuvent être visibles à l’œil nu.
Quality of the Cut
|Ideal cut: Represents about 3% of the best-cut diamonds Reflects almost any ray of light that enters the diamond. A superb and rare cut.|
|Very good cut: Represents about 15% of the best-cut diamonds. Reflects almost as much light as the ideal cut, but at a lower price.|
|Good cut: Represents about 25% of the best-cut diamonds. Reflects most of the light that enters. Much cheaper than a very good cut.|
|Fair cut: Represents about 35% of the best-cut diamonds. Always a quality diamond, but a passable cut will not be as bright as a good cut.|
|Poor cut: Diamonds that are usually so deep and narrow or so shallow and wide that they lose most of the light from the sides and the bottom.|
- The cut is the most important feature of a diamond.
- It is the cut that determines the beauty of the diamond the most.
- It determines what we define as brilliance. The quality of the cut of a diamond influences the reflection of the light of a diamond, which is what is generally referred to as brilliance. If the height of the stone is too high the light is reflected from below, conversely if it is too wide and lacks height the light escapes from the sides.
- The carat is a specific measure that applies to the weight of a diamond, but that in itself does not necessarily indicate its size.
- We usually evaluate the size of a diamond by looking at it from above, because that’s how we see it when it is set on a ring.
- To understand the size of a diamond, the carat weight must be taken into account at the same time as two other criteria
- The dimension in millimeters at the top of the diamond.
- The quality of the diamond cut.
As the term implies, the carat weight refers specifically to the weight of the diamond. To accurately evaluate the size of a diamond. It is important to measure the dimension at the top of the diamond because that is how we see a stone when it is set.
We must also take into account the quality of the cut of a diamond. Thus, when a diamond has a good cut, the light reflected from the top makes it look bigger. If most of the weight of a diamond with a bad cut is at the base of the stone, the diamond appears to be smaller than its weight might indicate.
Once you have selected your shape, color, and purity, it is easy to determine the carat weight that fits your budget.